- What are the order steps of Ambient-acoustics lab individual products?
1) Fill in the order form on the products you are interested in!
2) Consult the nearest ENT specialist and exame the external auditory meatus. This procedure is important if you suffer from ears chronic infections, or sulfur profuse discharge (cerumen) .
3) Ear impressions procedure. If You live in Kiev, then our specialist will contact you and arrange the most appropriate time and place (You can go through this procedure even not leaving the house!). If you live in another city, then find the nearest audiological clinic (hearing care centers) where You can go through this procedure .
4) Sending ear impressions. We work with all postal services in Ukraine and all over the world.
5) Payment. After agreeing with us on the cost of products you are interested in, you can pay for our services in the following ways:
- Cash (cash payment to the courier during receiving a finished product, sending the required amount with your ears casts)
- Pay cash on delivery during receiving the finished product in the post office (for Ukraine).
- Bank transfer (Western Union, PrivatMoney, Golden Crown, Unistream etc.)
Only after payment approval ear impressions is given to work!
6) Waiting. Production time of individual monitors (full customization) is 14-20 working days, from the moment of receiving ear impressions, sleeves (customs), earplugs, hearing molds is 5-7 working days.
- What is the term of individual products production at the Ambient-acoustics laboratory?
Term of Ambient monitors (or customization) production is 14-20 working days from the moment of casts’ receiving. Term of Ambient molds, earplugs, sleeves production is 5-7 working days from the moment of impressions receiving.
- Customs are made of a hard material?
Individual custom monitors are available only with acrylic shells, sleeves (customs) can also be made from silicone material. Acrylic is a hard durable material that can be overpainted with transparent acrylic lacquer that gives the product a smooth shiny texture. Silicone is an elastic hypoallergenic soft material, which is covered with silicone lacquer.
- What is full customs?
It is completely individual earphones produced by an ear imressions. Earphone shells fills in the entire ear shell. Hence the name - full shell
- What is a custom sleeves (customs)?
It is completely individual sleeves either on earphones or communication headsets produced by ears impressions.
- What are drivers (speakers), and how many of them are there?
Driver (speaker) is actually sound reproducing element of earphones. Some models of earphones have two, three, four or more drivers. Adding so many drivers by the manufacturer applies to smooth frequency response of earphones. This is some kind of a multi-band speaker system in which there is a “subwoofer”, “tweeter” of medium - and high range. This model is more sensitive, has richer bass, less harmonic distortion, more linear response.
- Do I need a special equipment for CIEM functioning?
If you listen to music, simply connect the Ambient monitors to any MP3 player or portable media. If You're on stage or repetition you need a wireless radio system.
- Is Ambient-Acoustics produced individual monitors by it’s own?
Ambient-Acoustics lab. offers both universal IEM remolding procedure into individual shells and individual stage custom in-ear monitors with detachable cables of personal designing production (AM series monitors). Also, the laboratory offers a wide range of personal acoustics (molds, ear plugs, sleeves, communication headsets).
- Which speakers are used for the production of Ambient monitors?
The speakers, used in Ambient monitors, are of electrodynamic type with a electrical signal transforming into acoustic one technology on the basis of “balanced anchor” (Balanced Armature), and also the speakers of traditional electrodynamic type.
- If I already have my ears impressions, can I order the production of individual products according to them?
If you already have your ear impressions we can make our individual products according to them. However, the impression material (silicon) gives some form of shrinkage and casts form is changes over time. That is why, we take into the work casts no longer than 3 months old!
- What to do in case of AM series monitors break-down?
If, after carrying out the recommendations contained in the preceding paragraph, the problem is not solved, contact us email@example.com
Important! Warranty for AM series monitors covers speakers, acoustic filters or components manufacturing defects, i.e. if the defect is not due to an obvious mishandling. If the fault has been caused by not following warranty conditions or by moisture (mud, sulfur) in the sound bores monitors, the repair will be performed at buyer’s cost!
- Are waxguard filters desirable for everyone?
Waxguard filters are better placed when you suffer from a sulfur profuse discharge out of ears (cerumen, chronic otitis etc.). They prevent moisture and sulfur intrusion into the monitors’ speakers that can quickly brake-down them.
- How are individual custom monitors (full customs) or custom sleeves hygienic and safe?
It is believed that listening at a moderate volume does not reduce the hearing level if you do not listen to more than a few hours a day with taking breaks. Due to maximum soundproofing of individual shells, there is no need to increase the volume of music in noisy environments. Thus, comfortable listening levels are within acceptable limits! Using individual customs it is recommended to clean the ear canal from sulfur and discharges more often than usual. Surface of customs is better wipe with a damp cloth (preferably not alcohol based) periodically.
Photoplast (acrylic) and silicone are widely used in the sphere of hearing aids for hearing molds production, they have hypoallergenic properties, but there are cases of intolerance to one of the types of materials by some patients. Usually, if there is an intolerance of one of these materials, it does not occur allergic reactions to the second one and vice versa!
- Silicone or acrylic? Which is better for sleeves?
Silicone is mainly used for the removable custom sleeves on earphones or communication headset production. Due to its flexibility and structural strength, it is easy to apply the sound bore earphones form stretching, thereby fixing the sleeves well. You can remove such sleeve at any time. Acrylic material is solid, so it is used only for fixed sleeves production. From the point of comfort, it is more convenient to use silicone. However, the silicone material has a high level of porosity, so if you suffer from a profuse discharge out of ears, it may lead to the development of bacteria in the silicone pores. Which can lead to the material “decay”. From the standpoint of a sound, no objectively measured differences have been discovered!
- Is there a big difference in sound between custom sleeves on the universal earphones and full customs?
The difference is not big, but still it is present. Thanks to placing speakers closer to the eardrum full customs provide greater sound insulation in comparison with the sleeves, it creates a subjective earphones’ volume increase, thereby increasing the perception of low-frequency range. Resonance of the sound bore in the sleeves is located in the upper middle frequencies, while in the full custom it is located at high frequencies. Thus, due to this, and based on the speakers characteristics, with full customization it is possible to achieve more linearyty in FR than using custom sleeves on universal IEM! However, subjectivity will always be present in this matter, based on the sounds personality perception of different people!
- If it will be uncomfortable for wearing my customs, can the shape be changed?
If customs are pressured in any place of the ears, their shape is corrected successfully. Contact us for more information!
- What is the period of adaptation to customs and individual custom monitors?
Skin in the ear canal is needed a time for a foreign body adaptation. On the average, a period of adaptation to such kind of a product is about 7-10 days. Therefore, immediately after fitting, if it makes you feel pressured in any place in the ear canal, it is better not to correct anything, You need to incur a bit and “spread” ears. If after a week of intense wearing the problem is not solved, then it's necessary to correct shells of your customs!
- If I suffer from a chronic otitis, can I use the individual custom monitors or customs?
If a person suffers from chronic discharge from the ears, the usage of individual custom monitors can lead to acute inflammation. This is because the individual monitor casing blocks the air access into the ear canal (canal is not ventilated), which leads to an increase of bacteria in the ear during prolonged use. Also, discharge may enter into the speakers of monitors leading to their failure. In these cases, the use of additional waxguard filters on the monitors is more than desirable.
Consult Your ENT specialist about the possibility of using such products!
- How do additional waxguard filters affect the sound monitors and customs?
Waxguard filters are widely used in hearing aids to prevent moisture and sulfur intrusion into in-ear hearing aids’ speakers. They were developed as a sound transparent security guard (those that do not distort the sound). Therefore, the effect of these filters on the sound is minimal - mostly a small level reducing at high frequencies. Within 1 dB. If the waxfuard filter becomes clogged with moisture, its effect on the sound becomes noticeable and this is the first sign that the filter needs to be changed.
- What are the most frequent breakdowns occur with monitors?
- If you have any problems with the monitors, such as sound intermittency, sound absence in one ear the problem may be in the cable or connectors, but not in acoustics of monitors themselves. To solve this problem, disconnect the cable where it is connected to the monitor. Change position of the left and right monitors. If the problem persists, then the fault is either in the speakers, or in acoustic filters.
- If the music does not sound clear and quiet, this is a problem of acoustic filters’ pollution. Acoustic filter is a mesh that has the necessary acoustic impedance, it (the filter) is placed in a sound bore monitor. If the filter mesh gets wet or dirty, the sound “permeability” is deteriorated. It distorts the sound picture. To solve this problem, place the monitor in a sealed container (or box) with an absorbent material (eg – silica gel). If after a few days the problem is not solved, please contact us for further instructions.
- If the music sounds distorted (metallic echo, rattling, strong distortion), it is a clear sign of the speaker (-s) failure. Moisture which gets into speakers by the sound bore or mechanical effects (drop, kick, etc.) often causes the break-down of speakers. In this case, carry out the same procedure with silica gel and if it does not be a successful one, contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
Important! If you are not sure that you can control the moisture (or ears’ discharge) in the sound bores, order displays with additional replaceable waxguard filter! They will be another barrier for getting moisture in the speakers.
- Do we save ear impressions or send them back with the order?
We save ear impressions after order indidvidaul production in our laboratory for 6 months. After this time, they are put aside.
- Do you make art design of monitors’ faceplates?
The faceplates of custom monitors can be decorated with various images (monochrome or full colored), carbon inserts, labels, stones and rhinestones inlays, wood inserts etc. The cost of a more complex design is calculated separately.
- Do I need a ventilation hole for individual monitors (full customs)?
Ambient monitors’ vent is designed to reduce the level of monitors’ sound insulation from 26 dB to 12 dB. Thus, the external environment is increasingly audible. Production of monitors with ventilation reduces the level and the depth of the low frequency, this is due to the fact that speakers do not work on a closed volume of the ear canal. Ventilation is used when it is hard to get used to the maximum sound insulation for the musician (as a transitional alternative to full soundproofing) and in cases where it is necessary to hear surround sounds. Also ventilation is desirable for those who suffer from chronic otitis, to remove moisture from the ear canal!
- If after monitors’ production a sound does not liked, has it no possibility to correct it?
Ambient-acoustics laboratory provides test models of their monitors (AM series) for the prior sound check. We strongly recommend before ordering any model, first become familiar with it’s sound character. We did not correct the sound of AM series ready monitors “for one’s wish”! If a client wants to correct the in-earphones’ sound after remolding, our experts can conduct forecasting and correction of the frequency response before the individual shells production! If the final version does not suit the client, you can order a refit for just $ 175!
- What should I tell the doctor before the ear impression taking procedure?
If you have made an order of individual monitors, custom sleeves, earplugs or hearing molds, you need to visit the ENT specialist to confirm the possibility of using such products. Doctor needs to check the condition of the outer auditory meatus. Please tell him what kind of individual products you want to use and that for its production free of sulfur ear canals without obvious signs of inflammation or chronic infections are necessary.
- What is the ear impression procedure? Is it hurt?
Ear impression procedure takes very little time. First of all, a specialist checks the ear canals for foreign bodies (cerumen). Further a cotton block that will prevent impression material leaking to the eardrum is placed into the eardrum cavity. After that a silicone viscous mass is filled in the ear canal hardened within 5-10 minutes. The mass is ejected after a complete solidification. This is your ear impressions! The process is completely painless and safe. You feel only a slight distension on the entire surface of the ear canals.
- What to do with my ear impressions?
Ear impressions are sent to our lab by the mail service. Ensure that the impressions were packed in such a way that mechanical stress will not lead to impressions structural deformation! Remember, any change in the impressions form leads to deterioration of insulation and comfort wearing of the final product!
- What is CIEM?
CIEM is custom in-ear monitors, technically it's earphones-plugs which are used by professional musicians on stage. However, the term is used to describe most of the modern custom in-earphones, a high level as a rule.
- - Steps of self-diagnosis during MF-HF imbalance in CIEM
If equipped monitors provide skewed balance of mid and high frequencies, first of all, make sure that it is caused by a skewed balance in sound monitors themselves, rather than the structural features of the ear canals or sulfur deposits in the canals! To do this, follow these steps:
1) insert monitors “on the contrary”: left monitor to the right ear and right monitor to the left ear. Develop an airtight fit. If the balance is leveled, it means the problem is not dirty sound bores, but it is a problem with the sulfur deposits in the ear canal where an imbalance appeared.
2) if the imbalance remained the same ear, you should turn to an ENT specialist for inspection of the ear canal for the presence of cerumen or sulfur deposition. If the deposits are not found, check the sharpness of hearing in this ear.
3 ) If after the first step there is still an imbalance and it is not a problem with hearing, it may indicate that this is a problem either in the acoustic pollution (waxguard filters) or breakage of contact inside the monitor.
4) take a tester and try to determine the level of DC resistance on each of the monitors. To do this, insert the tester probes into 2-pin plugs of left and right monitor. If resistance is approximately the same, there is no the open circuit inside monitors (mainly on the low midrange drivers ).
5) after the step number 4, the is only one variant - acoustic filters pollution (sulfur) inside the sound. To extract moisture from the sound guides use absorbent material (silica gel). It can be found in shoeboxes. Place absorbent material in a sealed case (box) and leave in it monitors for 24 hours. If the imbalance is still present, this indicates that the dried fluid (sulfur) is left as a thin film on the filter, which absorbs sound waves in the sound bore.
6) If the dried oily film remains in the acoustic filter, which leads to the imbalance, take a small amount of alcohol-based liquid (or hydrogen peroxide) and drip one drop in this sound guide gently. For mechanical treatment of acoustic filter use a teeth brush (its diameter is comparable with the diameter of the sound bores).
7) if all steps are passed, and the imbalance is still present, the latest and most effective method is to puncture the acoustic filter on MF-HF sound guide. It's enough to make a little “prick” on the acoustic filter mesh by a syringe needle. One small hole in the filter aligns MF-HF balance significantly. It is important that the puncture was done as accurately as possible, without undue pressure, with the effort control. If a needle will be much further after the puncture, it may cause damage to the speakers.
8) If a problem has not been solved after all steps fulfilment, and you believe that there is no problem with hearing, please contact us for more information. In this case, diagnosis of your monitor is needed in our laboratory!
- If in CIEM is felt a MF-HF skewed balance both in the right and left ear?
If equipped monitors provide skewed balance of mid and high frequencies, first of all, make sure that it is caused by a skewed balance in sound monitors themselves, rather than the structural features of the ear canals or sulfur deposits in the canals!
The main causes of imbalance:
- wet, sulfur, dirt, sweat, etc. gets into acoustic (waxguards filters), and thereby increased the acoustic impedance of the sound. The sound passaging this sound bore will be “absorbed” to a greater extent than in the pure sound guide at the other ear. Because of this, MF-HF skewed balance will go to ear with a clean sound bore.
- fully seated MF-HF sound bore in the ear “rests” in sulfur deposition or ear canal. This can be either a partial (parietal) deposition of sulfur or cerumen. Sound passing sulfur deposits partially “quenched” by it and thereby leads to imbalance.
- a problem with contacts inside the monitor. Because of a physical or mechanical action on the casing (kick, fall, concussion) it is the probability that the contacts on speakers or a crossover may break. Generally this leads to either stoppage of all the speakers, or partial non-functionality of drivers which lead to the imbalance between right and left ears.
- problem with the acuity of hearing on the right and left ears